Product Authenticity

Sourcing sustainably from transparent supply chains

Consumers deserve to feel confident about the quality and safety of the products they buy. We are committed to transparency, responsible chemical use, and the sourcing of sustainably produced key raw materials that will reduce our environmental footprint.

More than two-thirds of today’s consumers view purchasing sustainable products as one of the key ways they can lead a purposeful life while reducing their impact on the world (Barkley Purpose Research, 2019). Our consumers have told us they are looking for more information on the sustainability of a garment at product level to help them make more informed choices.

Our path to product authenticity has three big initiatives:

  • Product Safety – ensuring safe textiles
  • Transparency – mapping our supply chain to raise standards on quality, human rights, and environment impact
  • Sustainable Sourcing – increasing sustainable sourcing of key raw materials

Click HERE to learn more about our Supply Chain.

  • Our New Commitments

    Woman Distribution Employee with FOTL Boxes

    We have set challenging new product goals for 2030. Click on the sections below to see these goals.

  • Product Safety

    Mountain City, TN - July 17th: Scenes from the Parkdale Mountain City TN plant shot on July 17, 2019. Photo by Peter Taylor

    In Europe, our products are also certified by Oeko-Tex® to their standard 100 Oeko-Tex® mark. Oeko-Tex® is an independent certification for testing for harmful substances. We believe this provides consumers with value added assurance on product safety. We have set a new goal that all of our global production made in our own facilities will also be certified by Oeko-Tex® by 2025.

    We take a precautionary approach on chemical use, applying a consistent global standard across our facilities sites, which means we exceed local legal requirements. Fruit of the Loom, Inc., is a member of the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA), and we abide by their Restricted Substances List.

  • Transparency


    We believe transparency in where we source from helps us raise standards on quality, human rights, and environmental impact. We have published a complete list of all of our owned facilities, our direct suppliers and licensees since 2012. Our goal is to map 100% of our supply chain back to raw materials by 2025.

  • Sustainable Cotton

    Cotton Field

    Our goal is to source 100% sustainable cotton by 2025. Our definition of sustainable cotton is cotton produced to sustainable standards with farming practices that seek to address reducing greenhouse gases, water stewardship and fair labor conditions. We consider our sourcing of U.S. cotton and participation in the Cotton Leads program as meeting this definition. Today 89% of the cotton we use comes from the U.S. We plan to work with our supply chain to source the remaining 11% from sustainable sources. We are reviewing potential organizations to partner with such as Better Cotton Initiative (BCI), Recycled Cotton and Organic Cotton.

  • Recycled Polyester & Nylon

    Wall of spools

    Our goal is to source 30% of the Polyester and Nylon we use at a total volume level from sustainable sources by 2030. Virgin polyester and nylon fibers have a significant impact on our carbon footprint and recycled fibers could greatly reduce this impact. However, the recycled yarn types we need for our products are not widely available today, but we will work with our supply chain partners to increase supply to reach our goals.

  • Recycled Content in Packaging

    Underwear Product Shot

    Our goal is to increase the use of recycled material in our packaging by 2025. We use polybags to protect the quality of our garments and sporting goods products in wholesale, e-commerce and in retail packaging. We also use paper in our retail packaging and secondary packaging. What we cannot eliminate we will increase the use of recycled content in our packaging.

  • Recycled Content in Plastic

    Child Playing Basketball

    Our goal is to increase the use of recycled plastic across our sporting goods products. We believe there is an opportunity to increase the recycled plastic content across some of our sporting goods products, including basketball backboards. However, we need to balance our goals here with any impact this may have on product integrity and durability. We will be researching solutions in the coming year.

  • Rubber

    Spalding basketball

    We also investigated the impact of rubber used in our basketballs. Based on the volumes we sourced, it did not have a significant impact on our environmental footprint. However, we recognize that we need a better understanding of the supply chain impacts more broadly. We worked with our suppliers to map sourcing back to Thailand and Vietnam. In 2020, we aim to do more work to map to farms.